After years as a full-time Linux user, I’ve lately decided to fiddle a bit more with Windows 10.
Just a couple of days passed from a clean Windows installation, and I faced a somewhat obscure bug. The solution I found might be helpful to someone else.
The issue was these operations would fail most of the time:
- Installing or updating software via Windows Store
- Installing Windows updates
- Windows installing “new resources”
- Updating Apple software
The error displayed was 0x80070057.
If you Google it, you’ll see this error hasn’t a single known cause, and attempting to fix it consists on trying multiple things, including nuking your whole Windows installation (and after reinstallation the error might still be there :-D).
In this beautiful scenario, I went to do some troubleshooting. I detected that, in my system, that error was related to a specific software I had installed and running: EncFSMP 0.11.1.
Simply unmonting all drives in this application makes the error go away.